John J. LaCava
Attorney John J. LaCava has over twenty-five years experience in personal injury and civil litigation, including both judge and jury trials (Federal and State courts), appeals, arbitrations and mediations. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum for verdict/settlement in excess of one million dollars, and has the highest rating from AVVO, an independent attorney rating organization.
In the area of Workers Compensation, he has represented clients in informal and formal hearings, and appeals to the Workers Compensation Board. He also has significant experience in administrative hearings and procedure, particularly in connection with his practice in Immigration and Nationality law, and has successfully appealed and argued before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) in Falls Church, Virginia. He is listed in the Woodward-White publication “Best Lawyers in America” in the field of Immigration law and has lectured in the field.
Representative plaintiff cases include Bauer v. Pounds, 61 Conn. App. 29 (2000) (liability for ownership or furnishing of a motor vehicle); Jose Pelaez v. Ricard A. Nau, 3905 CRB-07-98-09 (establishing the employer/employee relationship in the context of a workers compensation claim); Aurigemma v. Arco Petroleum Products 698 F. Supp. 1035 (D. Conn. 1990) (proving violation of the Connecticut Franchise Act through wrongful termination of franchise).
Mr. LaCava is longtime long time board member (and past president) of the International Institute of Connecticut, Inc. a non-profit agency involved in immigration assistance and refugee resettlement. He is an active member of the Weston Volunteer Fire Department and is a state certified firefighter (Firefighter I). He is married and has two children.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury -Plaintiffs
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Workers Compensation
- Civil Litigation
- Immigration & Naturalization Law
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Connecticut, 1980
- Florida, 1982
- New York, 1982
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- Doctor of Jurisprudence cum laude - 1980
- Law Review: Connecticut Law Review, Associate Editor
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- B.A. Philosophy - 1975
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Association for Justice (formerly the American Trial Lawyer's Association)
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyer's Association, 1982 - Present