Because experience
really does matter.

Photo of John J. LaCava
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Who Pays Medical Bills?

Who Pays Medical Bills After An Auto Accident?

At the Law Offices of John J. LaCava, LLC, we do more than help people obtain compensation through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. We help clients navigate the complex insurance process following a car, motorcycle or other motor vehicle accident. Contact a personal injury claim lawyer at our firm today.

In Connecticut, if you have purchased optional medical payments coverage — sometimes known as Med Pay — as a part of your automobile insurance policy, that policy should cover your medical bills up to the Med Pay limit. Med Pay is optional medical insurance coverage you can buy as part of your auto insurance. It will cover you and your family members who are injured in motor vehicle accidents. It is the primary insurance for motor vehicle accident cases — meaning that it pays first, before your group medical coverage is required to pay.

If you did not purchase Med Pay or do not live with a relative who has it, your next level of coverage would be under your major medical policy (such as Oxford, Blue Cross Blue Shield, etc.). It is important to understand that in a car accident case, your major medical insurance carrier or HMO may not pay your medical bills until it receives a formal letter from your automobile insurance carrier stating that your medical bills are not covered by Med Pay or another rider on your auto policy.

What If You Do Not Have Major Medical Insurance?

If you do not have medical payments coverage (Med Pay) and you do not have major medical insurance, you may be eligible to apply for state assistance. The State Administered General Assistance program (SAGA) is designed specifically to provide emergency medical care to low-income individuals who do not have insurance coverage and who have not been determined to be eligible for other state or federal assistance.

Even if you do not have Med Pay coverage or a major medical policy and you do not qualify for SAGA or another state or federal program, you may still have options. If you were injured in an auto accident, the guidance of an experienced attorney can be invaluable in obtaining the insurance coverage, assistance or compensation you need to pay medical bills.

Get Help From A Lawyer Experienced In Insurance Coverage Issues

At the Law Offices of John J. LaCava, LLC, we have been helping put lives back together for more than 25 years. If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, we will review your insurance coverage and advise on the options for you to recover compensation for personal injuries.

The main offices of our firm are in Stamford, Connecticut, but you can reach us at any of our three convenient Fairfield County locations by calling or by contacting an attorney online with a brief description of your personal injury claim. You can speak with a lawyer directly about your medical bills.

We have three locations, in Stamford, Norwalk and Bridgeport, to conveniently serve our clients with day or evening appointments. Initial consultations are always provided free of charge. Appointments can be made for evenings, weekends and off-site locations for your convenience.

You will pay no fees or costs unless we recover compensation in your case.