Because experience
really does matter.

Photo of John J. LaCava
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » What To Do If You Are Injured On The Job

What To Do If You Are Injured On The Job

If you are injured while on the job in Connecticut, your employer is required to pay for all your reasonable and necessary medical treatments, and pay a portion of your lost wages if you are not able to work. The law requires all employers to either buy workers’ compensation insurance for these claims, or to certify that they are self-insured. Your employer cannot fire you or demote you simply because you make a workers’ compensation claim.

If you are hurt on the job — here’s what you need to do:

  • Report your injury to your employer immediately.
  • Get prompt medical attention.
  • File an official workers’ compensation claim within the month.
  • Follow up on your claim if your benefits do not arrive within two weeks of your injury.

Benefits Under The Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Act

Workers’ compensation benefits to which you may be entitled include:

Temporary Total Disability

Temporary total (TT) disability benefits are essentially wage replacement benefits. They are paid by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier while you are unable to perform any type of work due to your work-related injury or illness. Temporary total benefits begin on the fourth calendar day of disability from work. If the disability lasts for seven or more calendar days, payment will be made retroactively to cover all the days of disability from work. (The day of an injury is not counted as a day of disability from work.)

For injuries/illnesses occurring on or after July 1, 1993 — Weekly TT benefits are equal to 75 percent of your after-tax earnings (federal and state taxes and FICA) for the 52-week period prior to the injury/illness. This TT benefit may not exceed 100 percent of the State Average Weekly Wage.

Recurrence Or Relapse From Recovery

If you return to work from an injury, but then have a recurrence or relapse from recovery, you will again be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Your compensation rate will be based on your original TT benefit rate (with any applicable cost-of-living adjustments) or the TT rate based on your earnings at the time of recurrence or relapse, whichever is higher. Temporary total rates for recurrences or relapses are handled the same as for original rates, dependent upon the date of injury or illness.

Permanent Partial Disability

If your attending physician determines you have reached maximum medical improvement and that you have sustained a permanent partial disability (partial loss of function of a body part) he or she must provide a disability rating, usually on a Form 42 or in a narrative medical report. A disability rating marks the end of other workers’ compensation wage benefits. It makes you eligible to receive weekly permanent partial disability (PPD) benefits for a specific number of weeks. The PPD benefit rate is your base benefit rate as established at the time of the injury or first diagnosis of the occupational illness. The number of weeks of payments you will receive depends upon your disability rating. The higher the rating, the more weeks of payments you will receive.

Vocational Rehabilitation

If you cannot return to your usual work because of a significant permanent impairment, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation. If eligible, your rehabilitation program will be paid for by the Workers’ Compensation Commission’s Rehabilitation Services. For more information, call 860-493-1500.

The Commission’s Education Services can be reached, toll free in Connecticut at 800-223-WORK. More information and a list of forms are available on the workers’ compensation website at

Contact A Connecticut Workplace Injury Lawyer

At the Law Offices of John J. LaCava, LLC, we have been helping put lives back together for more than 25 years. We can help you, too.

Our main offices are located in Stamford, Connecticut, but you can reach us at any of our three convenient Fairfield County locations by calling or by contacting an attorney online with a brief description of your situation. You can speak with a Stamford workers’ compensation claim lawyer directly about your case.

We have three locations, in Stamford, Norwalk and Bridgeport, to conveniently serve our clients with day or evening appointments. Initial consultations are always provided free of charge. Appointments can be made for evenings, weekends and off-site locations for your convenience.

You will pay no fees or costs unless we recover compensation in your case.